Okay, so I finally had to spend some money on this project…
I knew I needed a good foundation on this beast of a machine I am going to build, so I went about looking for a suitable set of leveler feet for it.
What I decided on turned out to be fairly cost effective and appropriately substantial to handle the anticipated load I’m going to put on this thing.
For $26.99 I found a set of four Billiard table legs on Amazon which looked like they would mount up perfectly to my machine.
When compared to the furniture levelers, there was no comparison. 6” diameter cast metal feet with a chrome finish—Nice!
First thing I had to do was to flip the frame upside down and drill a 1/2” hole through the bottom of the rail.
I added the T-slot nuts into the rail and screwed the mounting plate to the bottom of the rail. For this I had to shorten the screws a bit as they bottomed out before tightening the plate. That proved to be the most time consuming part as all I had was a cut-off disk in my dremel for the task.
The feet threaded right into the mounting plate and they are very secure.
Once all four feet were attached I flipped the frame back over.
Voila! It’s starting to look like something.
I still need to true up the framework, but that will be a relatively simple task, now that I have adjustable feet for it.
My next big purchase are the THK rails for the main X axis. They are 65” long and cost around $500.00 for the pair. This might seem overkill, but I intend on this thing being very accurate and tight toleranced.
It will be one of many substantial investments into this future CNC machine.
Thanks for following along! Happy Thanksgiving to all!
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251