Well, as promised, here are some more pics of the process.
First thing I had to do was tap the end screw holes for the corner brackets. I could have used these with the t-slot connectors and not had to tap anything, but I wanted the brackets to do double-duty as end caps too.
I didn’t have an appropriate tap, so I used my dremel tool to cut a groove across the threads of a screw, being careful to leave a good cutting edge on the leading edge of the threads.
With a little 3-in-1 oil and my power drill, it worked out nicely.
It didn’t take too long to get it put together to this point. I have about 2 1/2 hours into it so far.
It’s beginning to take shape;
I’m pretty sure I will need to add some sort of levelling legs underneath it in order to set it level and true.
Right now the thing has a twist in it and is put together mostly to solidify the vision I have in my head for this.
The leveling legs will likely add another 4” to 6” in height to this which will put it right about where it should be.
I won’t bother to true it up until that part is done.
There will be another frame inset inside this one that will hold the 4th axis motor and tailstock.
It will be hinged at the head and have an adjustable height on the tail end—probably with some all thread. (Details pending, of course) This will allow for tapered work. (The infamous pseudo-5th axis.)
The side panels will probably be filled in for rigidity, but I want to be sure that the bearings and pinon gears will have the required room for mounting before I do that part.
The current overall size is 28”W X 68”L X 28”H
Thanks for following along. Stay tuned.
I have a dining table project coming up which may provide funds to buy the next batch of parts. That could be as soon as Thanksgiving. We’ll see how it goes.
-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251