Got the crap scared out of me last night, BIG TIME.
The temperature dipped to 38 degrees in Lincoln, aka the HuskerPlex. To bump the temp up in my detached garage shop, I plugged in my large, forced-air, torpedo heater. It blew a continuous stream of sparks and flaming shreds of debris all over everywhere. After a wild-eyed panic stop, carefully checking for burning embers, and changing my pants, I figured it out. Mice had built a large nest in the heater.
Resulting Safety Tip: Either check your shop heat source carefully before starting it for the first time this Fall. OR, slip on an adult diaper, stand there with a fire extinguisher, and start ‘er up.
-- DJ Peck, Lincoln Nebraska. Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.