Besides motivation, energy and time….
I need a cross cut sled.
I’ve checked out most of the various sleds and “Super” sleds here on LJs, from the basic to the multifunction/multipurpose sleds. All these possibilities led to a paralysis by analysis situation. Since I was worried about how accurate my “first” sled would be, I decided not to over complicate things by making a “super sled”. I figured why put so much effort into something I wasn’t sure would be a “keeper”!!! The plan was to make a small sled, that would serve me well and take what I learn in the build and apply that knowledge into a future “Super Sled”.
Like I usually do….
I’ll let the pictures tell (most of) the story….
I had some 1/2” Birch Ply (from that Big Blue store) that I would use for the sub-base of the sled. Affixed on top of that would be repurposed Bamboo engineered flooring, for the “work surface” of the sled. Since I hate seeing the ply edge on anything, all of this would be edge banded in repurposed oak flooring. No good pictures of the base build, wasn’t taking many pictures as I just wanted to “Git ‘er done”....
I needed to route a few grooves for some T-Track.
Especially since I have about 16’, yes FEET, of Inca T-Track collecting dust….
I calculated the spacing in a very analytical way….
I placed the grooves in the T&G joint of the flooring.
I later added a fourth T-Track on the very right edge.
I figured it would be easier to add it now, if ever needed, than after the sled was completed.
Runners: On your mark, set, GO!!!
Would you believe that I used repurposed oak flooring for the runners???
Glued and screwed….
With the base of the sled sliding easily and without slop, it was time to focus upon the rear and main fence.
You guessed it….
Both of the fences were glued up from repurposed oak flooring.
Hey, I have a lot of it.
After the glue-up, the fence blanks were jointed and planed
Then the main fence was routed for T-tracks….
With the rear fence installed, it was time to attach the main fence.
I followed the William Ng 5-Cut Method video tutorial for the alignment.
However, I must first (re) align the blade to the miter slots.
I think I got it as close to perfect as I could….
Dial Indicator measurement at front of blade:
Dial Indicator measurement at rear of blade:
Is that “close enough for g’ument work”???
Time for the 5-Cut Method of fence alignment:
I did the “alignment” three times and then gave up….
When I did the calculations, I kept getting an exponent!!!
I’m either right on or waaaaaay off!!!
Now that the main fence was installed…
To prevent “slippage”, I added sandpaper to the face of the main fence.
More of that 16’ of dust collecting T-Track was installed.
I made sure to leave clearance for any future blade misalignment.
T-Track and any hope for repeatability would all be for naught….
Overall the sled can cross cut a 13”+ wide board.
Good thing as that just happens to be the width of my DeWalt 735 Planer!!!
The main fence can handle a board up to 24”+...
more without the repeatability of the stop block.
I still need to fabricate the “blade guard box” for the main fence and fashion some hold downs.
Here it is, made on a wing and a prayer….
It may not technically qualify, But to me….
This is a SUPER Sled!!!
Thanks, for taking the time to view and read….
-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow!