This blog series will prevent the LJ “Project Gallery” from being infected with my less than “Fine Wood Working” projects, shop fixtures and jigs. I feel the “Project Gallery” should be preserved for true WW projects and not a showcase for the utilitarian “Down & Dirty” endeavors, TS Sleds, clamp racks, shop helpers and the like. This will also serve, at times, as a build log for these “Not Ready For Primetime” projects.
To get the ball rolling…. Warning!!! This is long winded & picture intense!!!
The boss purchased vinyl signs for two of our landscape trailer tailgates, you know the ones with expanded metal grating/mesh. With no way to affix the vinyl signs to the mesh, he recruited me (& my limited WW skills) to make elliptical backer boards, to mount onto the tailgates, that the signs will then be adhered to. Sounded like a relatively simple task that I could easily over engineer.
1/2” Birch Big Box ply, edgebanded and painted with gloss black marine paint, a couple of nuts, washers and bolts.
The signs were already made, so I needed two identical 32” x 16.5” ellipses.
No visible hardware through/on the sign.
Must be completed before the next millenium!!!
“Pictures are worth a thousand words”, so I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.
I tried the “Two Nails & a String” thing, to draw the ellipse….
With double sided tape securing the two “blanks” together,
spray adhesive secured the much more accurate “Microsoft Excel” generated multi-page paper template:
After rough cutting on my Ricon 10-325 14” BS with a 1-1/2HP motor and 13” of resaw capacity, it was onto the oscilating belt sander for final shaping.
There’s a dryer in my shop….
Might as well do some ironing!!!
I really didn’t have a concrete plan, when I started this build….
Just a half baked idea. With the ellipses cut, it was now time to figure out the mounting plan….
The trailer has angle iron that needs to be contended with:
Mounting blocks were made from some scrap pine and 3/4” ply. The bolts heads were then imbedded into the ply with the threads protruding through the pine.
The mounting blocks were then attached to the sign board with glue and screws.
Pre-Assembly of the side mounts (bolts not in):
In my rush to get these to the sign shop, I didn’t get pictures of the final paint job. Which is just as well. I ended up using a brush and roller and am not happy with the outcome. I NEED to set up a spray booth, as the finish is not as smooth as I would have liked.
For better or worse, here are a few shots of the signs installed:
A “non-offensive” backside view!!!
The Dual Ellipse Team:
As I said, not really a “Gallery” worthy project, but….
I learned a few things….
Put my tools/machines in “The Lair” to good use….
Justified another “shop project” (spray booth)....
And most important….
I got to make sawdust!!!
-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow!