My TS gave up the “Magic Smoke” several weeks ago! 8^(
Rather than purchase a new motor at $250.00 to $400.00, I opted to purchase a used motor. That motor, with a few additional items, was purchased off of CL for $150.00. My wallet was happy with me waiting for the right CL deal to come along!!!
Here is a picture of the “donor” motor installed on my TS:
It was a very serendipitous releasing of the “magic smoke”, as the original motor was 1HP and the transplanted motor is 1-3/4HP. I love upgrades!!!
The additional items that came with the donor motor will provide further upgrades for the shop. My C’man 113 TS has the crappy stamped steel extension tables, but not much longer!!!
An image of the “Additional” items:
That is a complete C’man 315 TS (now minus a 1-3/4HP motor) with webbed CI extension tables and a mobile base. The plan is to switch out the extension tables, after infilling the finger pinchers! The mobile base will be used somewhere in the shop, as my 113 already has a Herc-U-Lift mobile base. I will look for a FREE donor motor then sell the 315 as a complete saw and recoup most of my costs. The other option is to “part out” the 315, to offset my expenses, either way, my donor motor, CI tables & mobile base will essentially be free!!!
For now, the 315 is still in my vehicle, awaiting further dissection:
You can see in the pictures, that the legs/base have been removed for transport….
Those are not the refferenced “NO Leg To Stand On” in the title of this blog installment.
Here are pics of what the title is eluding to:
The counter/bench was a ReStore purchase, that I edge banded with reclaimed oak flooring (another ReStore aquisition!). I finished the counter a while ago and it needed something to suport it. It wasn’t eligible for “Social Security” as it retired early, so I was left to build it’s support.
Due to my shop built air cleaner’s less than perfect location, the counter is positioned such that it does not block the air flow, but rather improves circulation (hopefully!). Low ceilings and space considerations forced me to place the A. C. in a small room off of the main shop. That closet houses the A. C. & my HF 2HP DC.
A french cleat will be used for hanging the counter, however additional structure is needed. The underpinnings of the counter will be fabricated from repurposed construction lumber, from….
You guessed it….
From the ReStore!!!
A pictoral of my “support structure” build:
Pieces Parts milled, labeled and awaiting assembly:
3 Sided apron under pressure, err glued & clamped:
The removed clamps reveal the apron:
The “wave”, or curve on the apron is NOT decorative, but it don’t look too shabby, If I do say so myself!!!
More on that later….
Another fascinating glue-up:
With the apron & leg assembly complete, time for the installation. There is only one leg assembly, as the left side of the counter will be supported along the adjacent wall by an ordinary cleat, not some fancy imported french cleat!!!
The “domestic” cleat was the easy peasy part. The next was a little more involved, so I took my time. For those that know me….
That could be an eternity!!!
The right side leg assembly was aligned with buscuits (not glued) and secured with pocket hole screws. I did this so the counter can be easily relocated if/when neccessary. As we all know, a shop is always evolving and changing, so I planned for that.
Biscuits & gravy:
8 Ball in the right side pocket:
There is NO stretcher preventing the leg assembly from being knocked out of whack. I didn’t want to use exposed hardware, like metal corner brackets, so I “anchored” the feet with dowels.
It’s a wood floor:
Low & behold:
The “non-decorative” apron was designed with a purpose. Under the counter will be the home of my jointer and the fence & knobs need clearance to slide under the counter. I measured veeery carefully, you know the saying; “Measure twice”, well I measured at least fifty times!!!
Jointer in position; ready, willing & able to joint:
With the fence set for jointing at 90 degrees, the apron obstructs both knobs:
When the jointer is resting, fence is layed down to sleep:
Missed it by thaaaat much!!!:
Jointer resting comfortably & being nonintrusive:
With the A.C. intake next to the counter, the intended purpose of the counter/bench is to house my sanding station. This way the fines, that are not suck up by the DC are inhaled by the A.C.!!!
I hope this sucks, in a good way!:
My new “Sanding Station”!!!:
After all that work….
I’ve earned a cold one or twelve!!!
The transformation from Dungeon to Lair is progressing. I just need to pick up the pace. With a little more organizing, that should be possible!
Well, that’s the plan at least….
-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow!