Last time we got the splines installed and flushed up. Now, we will get the base done.
Mortises cut on the base and on the bottom of the flag box using your standard drill press and chisel combo. Here we have the majority of the waste of a mortise hogged out using a forstner bit on the drill press. I just used a handheld drill on the bottom of the flag box.
Here you can see the supports with the top tenon. They are just dry in the base with the mortise and tenon. I have the layout of the shells where I want them on the base. I also have the name plate block sitting on the base in the front middle.
Shell positions laid out and marked with a punch.
I drilled a through hole (not my ideal method but it worked and the holes are very small) to mark the locations so I could place the base on the flag box and transfer the hole locations. Look carefully and you can see the small drill bit I just placed in one of the holes in the base. I just made an indent with a quick pull of the drill trigger to transfer the location to the flag box.
Here are the locations marked on the bottom of the flag box.
Using the closest matching to the shell diameter forstner bits that I had, I drilled the holes in the base and the bottom of the flag box about 1/8” deep. I think I will place a dab of epoxy or hot glue to keep them from rattling once I assemble the whole thing. Here’s a sneak peek.
Gluing the name plate block in place. I cut the name plate at a 10 degree angle and then did that same bevel all along the base. The name plate is taller than the block so it will come down on the base some. That angle had to match.
Coat of stain on the box. It really made the grain pop on that maple. A little bit of figure on the walnut toward the top. I am happy with the stain.
Next up is to put the lacquer on, attach the name plate, assemble the box to the base, glass and back. Getting close!
-- Dan, Virginia Beach