LumberJocks

Flag Box #2: Sanding, Rabbets, Sample Colors, 22.5 Degree Miters

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by DBoltz posted 08-26-2012 01:42 AM 1372 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Gluing up the trim Part 2 of Flag Box series Part 3: 45s, Clamping Blocks and Glue Up »

Since we left off last time, I got the voids in the wood filled in with CA glue and the boards are sanded to 150 grit so far.

I used my block plane to get the trim close to the side pieces.

My FIL did not have much in the way of woodworking tools. He did have a Skil 1/4 sheet sander. My MIL wanted me to have it. I thought it would be appropriate to use that sander on his flag box. You can see the sander in the background here. Sanded to 150 grit here.

Here you can see the trim cut to size. I cut it to 1” width.

Next I cut the rabbet in all three pieces. This will accept the 1/4” plywood back. I used my dado stack on the TS and had the boards raised on a 1/2” piece of MDF because the trim overhangs the boards.

I decided to test a cutoff piece of the maple and walnut with some stains to see if they could enhance the grain of the maple without making the walnut look bad. There is no way I would even attempt to try to stain only the maple. I couldn’t get a decent picture of the sample boards. My wife and I agree that the one in the middle looks best. It is a Minwax colonial maple. The one on the right is Minwax cherry. I think the colonial maple enhances the grain while not making the walnut look bad. I will say, I did not want to alter the look of the walnut and I think this stain does not do much more than an amber shellac would. The picture really does not show it, but the maple on the right looks bad with that cherry stain on it.

Here we finally get to the hard part – the 22.5 degree miters. Here you can see one of the boards clamped to my jig. I’ll discuss the jig in the next photo. Before I started cutting my box components, I cut some test pieces on some scrap pieces of pine to make sure the angle was dialed in correctly. I use a drafting triangle that I got from Office Depot to make sure the two pieces make a 45. I always cut my stock oversized when I have difficult cuts like this and sneak up on the final size.

Here is my 22.5 degree jig. This is my third time using it. I just added the saddle that goes over my fence this time. I have no excuse for waiting to do that until now. It took me five whole minutes to add it and now I won’t have to worry about adding a taller auxiliary fence and holding it stable. This made cutting the miters SO much easier. If you make the jig, make the saddle!! I cannot stress that enough.

Save the cutoffs from your 22.5 cuts. We will use those as clamping blocks when we do our glue up.

22.5’s are done!

Next will be cutting the 45’s, making our clamp blocks and glue up.

-- Dan, Virginia Beach



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase