LumberJocks

Tool cabinet

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by CutNRun updated 03-17-2008 10:37 PM 8 parts 8565 reads 66 comments total

Part 1: Putting together the carcase

11-16-2007 02:30 AM by CutNRun | 9 comments »

Prior to joining the list, I began working on a tool cabinet. The plan is from a Wood Magazine issue. After purchasing large quantities of 4/4 and 6/4 Red Oak, 4/4 Ash, and some figured Maple, I began making sawdust. The carcase of the cabinet is full, 1” thick oak, as are the cross members. The back is a built up assembly with stiles, rails and plywood center panels. I have also completed the two doors for the front of the cabinet. I have used figured Maple for the pa...

Read this entry »


Part 2: A break in progress

11-18-2007 09:05 AM by CutNRun | 8 comments »

I didn’t make any headway on my cabinet today, but did make progress on my shop equipment. This morning, a friend and I rented a U-haul trailer and picked up some new woodworking machinery. He purchased a Powermatic 15” planer/molder and a Jet free-standing buffer. I purchased a Jet 10” Left Tilt Cabinet saw. I also got a great deal on some Jet clamps. As everyone here knows, you can never have too many clamps. After scratching our heads a bit, we were able to unload b...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Installing doors and drawers

11-21-2007 10:20 PM by CutNRun | 5 comments »

With purchase of the new tablesaw, I had to install a 240V outlet. I took the opportunity to add an additional 20 amp 120V outlet as well. This completed and the saw turned over, it was time to make some progress on the tool cabinet. I have mounted the doors and all of the drawers at this point in time. I still need to fine tune the fit of the latches and the doors – the doors are a bit too tight to clear each other when opening. There are two trays which will mount behind th...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Getting it all together

11-26-2007 09:14 PM by CutNRun | 7 comments »

I was able to spend some time in the shop over the holiday and finished getting the tool cabinet together. The drawer fronts are mounted as is the hardware. All glides are installed and the trays mounted in the cabinet section. Next will be taking everything apart, sanding, and finishing. I plan to locate some drawer liner material to put in the bottom of the drawings.

Read this entry »


Part 5: Another delay

11-30-2007 01:55 AM by CutNRun | 3 comments »

While completing the tool cabinet, I have also been working on a quick and dirty cabinet to mount my current, knock-down router table top onto. My plan is to make the cabinet the right height so that it can do double duty as an outfeed table for my table saw. The knock down table was based on the Fine Wood Working design recently provided on line. I have the smaller Triton router mounted in it using a Woodpeck router insert. I love the combination and it serves my needs very well. ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Almost ready for tools

12-07-2007 08:39 PM by CutNRun | 3 comments »

The tool cabinet is all together and has three coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly applied. All that remains is to install the drawer liners and move the tools into place. I purchased some drawer liner from Lowe’s that was okay, but didn’t lay as flat as I wanted and didn’t have an adhesive back. So, I will return what I haven’t used and see what else they have available. The back was a rail and style assembly that turned out pretty well. While finishin...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Top mounted tool chest

01-17-2008 08:54 PM by CutNRun | 10 comments »

While it isn’t quite done, I’m about 80% complete with the companion chest to my tool cabinet. The carcase is completed and together, the back panel is done and ready to mount, and the drawers are all cut and dry assembled. I need to finish sand the drawers and glue them togther. Some coats of finish and drawer liners and it will be ready for tools. Should add some bonus shallow drawers to what I have already. The drawer fronts of the chest are figured maple to match the top d...

Read this entry »


Part 8: All done and loaded

03-17-2008 10:37 PM by CutNRun | 21 comments »

Just wanted to follow-up and finish this project/blog. The top cabinet is now finished and loaded with tools. I do actually have a drawer or two available for more “stuff”. I’m pleased with how the cabinet turned out. My wife thinks it is too nice for the garage/shop, but I know better.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase