LumberJocks

Evolution of a Shop #28: New Cross Cut Sled

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Cory posted 862 days ago 3996 reads 11 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 27: New drum sander Part 28 of Evolution of a Shop series Part 29: New bandsaw and drum sander modification »

There have been a few cross cut sleds posted recently and it motivated me to replace mine. The original was a little small and a little heavy. My max capacity was about 14”. I used maple and cherry for the fences, which looked nice, but weighed too much. A few other lessons learned gave way to Version 2.0:

Overall size is 24” x 36”, quite a bit larger than my previous sled. Capacity on this sled is 21”. Base is 1/2” birch ply.

The rear fence features sliding replaceable faces. I had a lot of tear out on my previous sled, this should solve that. It’s made from poplar and 1/2” MDF for the faces. Thick and stable, but a lot lighter than the maple and cherry. The movable faces have a chamfer along the bottom. This allows dust to gather there, rather than on the face (thanks, Woodwhisperer!).

I considered making a super-sled-like handle to go over the blade exit area, but I never like my hands over a blade, even if they’re well above it. The old sled had a large block of hardwood. On this one it’s a smaller piece of poplar. Enough to keep my thumbs from sliding into the exit area.

My previous sled had home-made runners. On this one I bought miter bars from Rockler. The fit is perfect, they’ll never wear out, and I can easily re-use them on Version 3.0!

I mounted t-track to the face of the rear fence. This makes it easy for stop blocks or other attachments. On my previous sled I would clamp a piece of wood to the fence, this is quicker and locks down tight with no slipping.

To attach the rear fence I used oversize holes and bolts. It was extremely easy to square it up and make adjustments. After I dialed it in with the 5 cut method, I used 4 additional screws to lock it down.

Overall I’m really pleased with this version. I’m sure I’ll learn some more lessons from this one and be ready for Version 3.0 in another couple of years.

Thanks for looking.

-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.



5 comments so far

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8475 posts in 2232 days


#1 posted 862 days ago

looks good. I kinda liked the idea you have already accepted the fact there will be a version 3 :)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View JR45's profile

JR45

538 posts in 896 days


#2 posted 862 days ago

Nice one! It’s now on my “To Do” list.
Jim

-- It always looks better when it's finished!

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

12584 posts in 1259 days


#3 posted 862 days ago

Looks like it will serve you well, atleast long enough for V 3.0 to be released!!!

On my infinetly looooooooooooooong To – Do list!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View Roger's profile (online now)

Roger

13948 posts in 1388 days


#4 posted 862 days ago

oh yea… very nice

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View DMC1903's profile

DMC1903

185 posts in 911 days


#5 posted 862 days ago

Nice work, a new sled is on my list

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase