I spent quite a bit of time flattening and smoothing the table top last weekend. I used mostly my Lee Valley low angle jack plane, a #4 smoother, and card scrapers. I did use a little sandpaper on the edges to break them. The finish is 2 coats of a 50/50 BLO and mineral spirits mix. I find that mix to be much easier to apply than straight BLO. After that cured came 4 coats of General Finishes Armor Seal and a coat of paste wax. That meant the top was complete. Then came the bottom.
After talking with my Dad (the customer) for a while about what he’d like to see for the base of the table, we settled on some hairpin legs. Not what I would have chosen, but I think they do the top justice. It’s kind of like a floating table top, which focuses all the attention there, rather than on the bottom. Zoe, my oldest, helping me install the legs:
Some pictures of the finished table:
I put my brand in between the holes/dowels I used to fix the large check. It almost looks like I meant to do it!
In use, in my Dad’s office:
And just a reminder of what it looked like before:
Overall I’m happy with the project and my Dad loves it, so that’s all that really matters.
Thanks for looking.
-- The secret to getting ahead is getting started.