I’ve been using every nice day we’ve had, that I can, to work on my chicken coop. I am having so much fun with this! Part of it is being proud of myself for tackling this project, and doing pretty good with it too, and part of it is the crafting part of it. I didn’t simply draw up plans and go to the lumber yard. For one thing, I doubted my ability to precisely follow the plans. I don’t have the skills or the tools to make all the exact-perfect cuts, angles, etc. I needed something more forgiving and fluid. And for another, I wanted to use reclaimed hardware and woods as much as possible. I’ve had to adjust my plans to fit the wood and stuff that I find. It’s fun!
I’ve got this idea of a ‘beach shack’ ... planked walls, grey-wash paint over various textures and sizes of wood. White trim. etc. Buying various sized planks at Home Depot, and roughing them up to look weathered would take a lot of work… and cost a lot(!), but I found all of these old planks and they are so interesting and awesome! A lot of people have told me I should leave them unpainted, but I want a ‘white-wash’ (grey-wash) to pull the colors together, but leave the textures as they are.
I have had to buy some things new. The uprights, the 2×4s for framing and for the run, the chicken wire, and I still need to get tin for the roof and PVC for water piping and feeders, but so far, this project, hardware, window, door, etc. a coop with about 45sq feet floor space, has cost me less than $500. (and I had no supply of ‘scrap wood’ to pull from). I can see me having to spend another $100-200 or so for the roof and water system, but this is much better than the prices we saw on kits and pre-made large coops. And mine is going to be a cool tropical theme too!
Anyway… here are the latest photos…
this is the front of the coop, where the run will attach, with the chicken door roughed in. I love the old window! ($1.50!)
The front now that the roof is up.
The nest box
And an overall view of what I have done. There’s a human sized access door for cleaning, a door on the side to access the feeders, the nest box, and a window and the chicken door.
the floor is vinyl tiles, tacked down. I’m thinking it might help with cleaning.
Anyway, I’ve got a couple of weeks to go before the new inhabitants move in. The babies have arrived in the mail though and are living in my entry way. My daughter LOVES them… and even my son has to admit that they are darn cute.
-- "My plate is full, I can't possibly take on anything more... Oh, look! A project!"