The bucket continued to come together using the marking methods explained in the previous blog entry. The last stave, or weeping stave was narrower than the rest which, by using the same method, I was able to mark out with the knife and plane down to the exact width prior to planing the angles.
I then curved the outside edges of the staves with a spokeshave in a similar manner as Stefang. This process complete, they could now all be assembled into a fine looking wooden bucket.
I then tackled the handle, which originally I also wanted to be made out of bent birch. After four frustrating tries of breaking them I decided on willow, which steamed and bent easily into a handle like shape. I’ll leave it clamped in the “mold” for a day or so before I see how it looks.
Lastly, I’ve decided to forgo the dowels in the staves. My thicknesses have been reduced to 3/8” (I shouldn’t have planed the staves down to 1/2” initially – instead left them at the 5/8” they were.) This may cause problems later on, but after assembly I’m hoping it may prove unnecessary. Just a (another) minor deviation from the teacher’s lesson…
Thanks again to stefang for the wonderful project.