Well work picked up for a while so I haven’t had time to post any progress till now. In this post I will show what I had to do to get the Veritas Twin-Screw vise mounted. I originally was planning on using the Lie-Nielsen Twin-Screw vise but had to change when I realized the dog holes would interfere with the chain. The biggest issue with the change was that the instructions for the Veritas vise said you needed to have 1-1/2” of clearance from the bottom of the top for the receiver nuts to mount in the skirt. When I did the math it would mean that my skirt would have to be 7” tall. That would have been a problem if I hadn’t already made the skirt 5-3/4”. So I had to cut a grove on the under side of my top along with a couple of pockets in the end to receive the two nuts.
The skirt will act as the rear jaw of the vise. It’s just dry fitted on the top so I can layout the holes.
Here it is hard to see but I have all the holes marked and ready to be drilled.
Because of wood movement only the front 3 or 4 inches of the skirt will be glued to the top. I installed two bolts w/round nuts to hold the rest. I first used the drill press to drill the hole in the skirt. Then I put it back on the top and used it to keep the hole in the top square. In this picture the drill bit was to short so I had to take the skirt of then finish the hole.
After I drilled the hole in the end I turned the top over and drilled the holes for the round nuts.
When I was finished using the skirt as a guide I drilled out some wood on either side of the original to allow the top to move. It was a total guess on how much so keep your fingers crossed for me.
I am getting this a little out of order. I built the front vise jaw before I finished the skirt. That way I could drill the holes for the screws through both jaws at the same time. It is made up of three pieces of wood. I had to glue two of them together before I could cut the dados that create the square dog holes.
Then I used my TS sled and a piece of scrap to make the cut taper, that way my dogs in the jaw would lean three degrees toward the ones in the bench.
You can see how the dado gets deeper in this picture.
Here you can see where I used a chisel to cut the little area for the head of the dog.
Then I glued the two together.
I don’t have any pictures of it but I taped the front and back jaws together then drilled the holes for the screws all the way through both. Then I installed the receiver nuts. This is were I had to put the instruction down and just make it work. You can see how the nuts are half way covering the dado that receives the tenon on the top.
I cut the first pocket then marked where the screw hits the top.
Here is how it ended up.
When all that was done I glued the skirt on.
When I made the skirt I left it above the top on purpose but I didn’t mean to leave this much.
I really enjoyed getting the skirt down flush even-though it was a lot of work. I was actually sore from it the next day.
Levi felt sorry for me and gave me a brake.
I then used this stick with sandpaper glued to it to brake the edges of all the dog holes.
I cut the thumbnail pattern on the front jaw and did the final sanding on the top.
I think I have made this post long enough. I will try to post another one over the weekend.
-- Clay Ortiz, North Georgia