I started work on my bench today. I’ve had the Douglas Fir purchased from Home Depot waiting for this in my basement since July, so it should be well acclimated. Of course i would love to have a hard maple bench, but I want to learn on something a little more…economical.
The boards in the photos are 2×8x6’, cut at the store from 2×8x12’ boards. That was necessary in order to fit them in my car. Six feet is about the max with the pass-through ot the trunk open and the passenger seat moved all the way ahead. A larger vehicle would be nice, but for now, I’ll work with what I have. Besides, this car is a lot more fun than a pickup truck!
Most of the boards were still very straight. The rest will require a little work. I haven’t decided if I want to do a split top or one solid slab. I’m leaning towards a split top just because it will be easier to deal with than a solid slab.
I spent today sorting through the wood, removing staples, etc, and starting to square up the boards. The 2×8s are ~7” wide, so I’m going to shoot for a final thickness of 3” to 3-1/8” so I can get two layers of the lamination from each board. The top of the bench will be ~72” x 28”. I’m planning to have a leg vise (still investigating design) and probably dual wagon vises. I’ll be fabricating the vises myself, and I have enough acme threaded rod for a leg vise, two wagon vises, and an add-on Moxon vise (to come later).