LumberJocks

Starting My Business #6: Sappy MOLDY Cherry

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by ChrisCrafts posted 10-01-2011 09:47 PM 959 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: The Sweet Smell of Sappy Cherry Part 6 of Starting My Business series Part 7: How I Finish Bowls »

Last time, At The Workshop, I was making bowl blanks out of some Sappy Cherry I had acquired. I had covered some with old candle wax and some with Anchor Seal. I painted on the Anchor Seal and Tossed it all in a pile. I also snapped my 3/4” Re-saw Blade at the weld. A couple days later I got really sick. As the week went on my head blew up like a balloon to the point that I couldn’t breath and was popping Benadryl and Sudafed 12 hour like candy.

Yesterday I realized it wasn’t a cold, it was the Wood!!! When it comes to Wood Mold and Mildew allergies I am a 200 on a scale of 1-10. Yep the guy who’s Dad was a VP at Coleman and grew up Camping every weekend is deathly allergic to the mold and mildew that grows prolifically in every Forrest in the world. Which explains why I was constantly sick as a child.

Here are some pics of what the blanks looked like after I sprayed them down with 409. I don’t know if 409 is the optimum Mold remover but it is what I had on hand so it is what I used. So I sprayed the 409 all over the wood and left it on my driveway. Living in Seattle isn’t going to help any as the Seattle Drizzle has set in for the year.

Any suggestions on preventing this in the future????? I just put armor seal on 6 more blanks. I have them spread out with better ventilation this time. I am hoping it I let them completely dry before stacking them I won’t get the “Petri Dish” Effect. I think the sweet Sap in the Cherry is making it worse. It has attracted the Fruit Flies like mad.

-- Chris, Washington The State! http://www.chris-crafts.com



4 comments so far

View amagineer's profile

amagineer

1389 posts in 1284 days


#1 posted 10-01-2011 11:47 PM

You need to keep the moisture down where the wood is stored. I use a dehumidifier about once a week, which helps. Good luck.

-- Flaws are only in the eye of the artisan!

View Bearpie's profile

Bearpie

2591 posts in 1705 days


#2 posted 10-02-2011 05:02 AM

Get a high quality dust mask, it will pay for itself in the long run and cause less problems. Get one that filters air.

-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

View ChrisCrafts's profile

ChrisCrafts

105 posts in 1272 days


#3 posted 10-02-2011 07:54 AM

I have and use a Trend Face Shield. The Mold actually filled my house as my “Shop” is my garage.

Thanks for the idea on the dehumidifier. That is a great idea and something I will pick up soon.

-- Chris, Washington The State! http://www.chris-crafts.com

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

5100 posts in 1529 days


#4 posted 10-02-2011 05:20 PM

I was helping a friend who has a garage heater, sand some red oak and my eyes were starting to water. Didn’t happen when we did this with the doors open and no heat.

I have read a bunch about wood dust and air filtration. I’m guessing you have pretty high humidity? I’m guesing the commercial cleaner took off the surface mold? You might check out a home remidies page for less expensive alternatives. Vinegar is cheaper? might do a test piece?

An air filtration machine for the shop can remove particles might even help w the mold as it dries? Maybe a fresh air exchanger to keep fresh air, hopefully breathable, moving through your work area.

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase