Last weekend I picked up a good size Cherry tree for cheap. 2/3 of it is going to the lathe and the remaining 8 foot section is going to be slabbed up for tables & such.
This gave me the opportunity to make my first bowl blanks. I have had about 2 cords in the back 40 (sq feet) for the past 6-9 months. I hadn’t cut any of it up yet, and it was started to wear thin on the wife’s patience.
Now my whole shop reeks of Cheap Black Cherry Soda. The Cherry was cut down in early spring and it is dripping Cherry Extract.
The size has been perfect so far. I have gotten anywhere from 8×8x4 to 12×12x5 bowl blanks.
To begin with I tried using old candle wax to seal the blanks. While it worked great, the mess and headache it caused wasn’t worth it. Yeah, so I shouldn’t have used the wife’s $600 set of Calphalon pans to make a double boiler and melt the wax in. Plus the wax I got all over the counters, floor, and stove, scraped right off, eventually.
The plus was, she didn’t blink and eye when I went out yesterday to buy some Anchor Seal, LOL. Ya know you shrink 1 cashmere sweater and your never allowed in the laundry room again. ;)
So here is two short days work making up blanks. I have a ton more to do but there is no hurry. I am going to keep doing other stuff and slowly work through the logs I have seasoning in the back 40. The nice thing is, there is some nice spalting or something going on in the Sycamore I have had seasoning. It is the lacy white but there are swirls of blue & black starting to develop.
Now I just have to figure out how long it will take for that Black Cherry Extract to dissipate.
-- Chris, Washington The State! http://www.chris-crafts.com