Well this project is taking WAY longer than I had anticipated but I am still enjoying it.
I finished installing all 90 some odd plugs and installed some Brusso ball catches to the tops of the doors. This was making me nervous as I have not used them before. I bought brad point bits from LV so I could drill them accurately. That took two weeks of waiting. They turned out nicely though and I really like the way they click into place.
I made a decorative detail for the step downs on the back and sides. It carries the eye down to the panel. This was done by running a 1/8” roundover on the edge of a 1/2” board and then ripping the part off with a band saw. The back was then cleaned up with a hand plane to remove the saw marks and the part was trimmed carefuly with a chisel to fit the panel.
Here is one of the sides with the parts installed. I also applied them to the back.
Next I started making the top.
Here is a blowup of the top.
I jointed and glued up some 3/4” boards for the core. Then I milled some 2 1/2” wide stock for the breadboard ends. The breadboard ends step down 1/8” proud of the core on the ends and stand a little less than that thicker than the core. I used a 3/8” slot cutting bit to make a slot in the end of the core and in the breadboard end. All of the edges of the core and breadboard ends are rounded over with a 1/8” roundover bit except at the bottom where the core meets the breadboard. I also milled loose tenons for the slots. The grain on the tenons goes the same direction as the core for expansion.
I trimmed the tenons with my #4 for a nice slip fit.
And glued them into the core slot.
Here it is dry fit.
I used the hollow chisel mortiser and a 3/8” bit to cut the slots in the breadboard end for the plugs and screws.
And pre-drilled the holes for the screws with a 1/8” brad point bit.
Then I cauled and glued it all up. I only put glue on about 3” of the center so the core can expand.
I used the same slot cutting bit setup to cut the slot for the ebony spline. Since the breadboard ends are thicker than the core, the router needs to be registered on the bottom of the assembly.
Next I used a piece of MDF with the same stepdown as the top to make a cutout so I could get the shape for the ebony splines. I made a test piece from scrap.
Here it is in the slot.
I milled up some ebony for the splines and started shaping them. That’s all I could get done. I hope to complete the tops next weekend. After that there is only.
- Fastening the tops
- Making the handles for the doors and drawers
-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net