I glued up the doors and set in knife hinges this week. Here are a few photos of the process.
First I glued up the doors. I sometimes have problems getting my panels and doors to glue up square so I came up with this simple jig to help with the process. It is nothing more than a couple of jointed sticks clamped square to the bench to keep the assembly square.
Once I have the jig all square and secure I put two strips underneath to keep the sqeeze out from making a mess of the panel.
Put on some glue.
and clamper up.
The jig keeps everything square and all it really is is some jointed sticks. Perfect!
So then I set the knife hinges into the top and bottom rails in the door opening. Here I am measuring the bottom rail (the one with the bottom glued on to a rabbet). the hinge sits back 1/4” from the front and 1/16” from the edge of the tenon. The tape was intended to keep the router from blowing out the front (more on that later)
Then I routed between the lines with a 1/4” straight bit.
It still blew out on the tenon side :(
Then I chiseled out the waste to the line.
Here is the hinge in place.
On the top rail I tried another idea. I thought if I cut in the front of the mortise with my little hack saw blade it might not blow out.
It still blew out on the tenon side only this time it was a little worse, because the blowout started at the back of the saw kerf. Dohhhh :(
So I’m thinking that it was really unreasonable for me to think that I could get away with leaving a little 1/16” sliver over on that side. I will just trim it out with a chisel and leave a little gap. I don’t think it really looks bad. Here is the case with the knife hinges installed. I still need to mortise hinges in the doors tomorrow after the glue up sets. I’ll post more pictures then.
I got four perfect ones on the second nightstand. The secret is start on the inside and come out very very (very) slowly with the router bit. I wonder whose side of the bed this one will go on. Hmmmmm.
-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net