Here is number ten of my Greene and Greene inspired nightstand.
I put the bottoms in today. It took me a while as I was very nervous about screwing something up at this late stage in the game. Also, since the bottom holds everything in place, I wanted to make sure it was the right place :)
So I started by running a 3/4×1/4 dado around the inside of all the bottom rails. I referenced the cuts from the tops because I want the center stiles to have no ugly spaces where they meet the panel rails.
I took a piece of scrap plywood and roughly cut out the corners to reference against the legs. I used this to draw lines on the legs where I needed to remove material for the cutouts.
Now that I had the lines on all the legs, I dissassembled the piece and drew two more lines 1/4 inch down from the edge. This gives me a reference for the depth.
Another job for my sweet little english back saw.
The first cut.
And the second. (My 8 year old left me a birthday present on the bench)
I chopped out the waste.
Here it is all finished.
All finito (Times eight) Note the piece of scrap in the mortice. That is to keep from blowing out the back with the chisel (I learned this the hard way. Not much damage though)
Here is one of the side panels assembled.
And the birch plywood bottom all tucked in.
I am really happy with the way it turned out. Getting close to glueup time. (But it’s beer time now)
-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net