This old Disston had seen better days. It had been reground/retoothed so many times that the etching was half gone and the toe was only about an inch tall. So… rather than pitch it, and because I am learning how to sharpen my own hand saws, and because some folks on here with more experience than I suggested it, I decided to perform surgery…. or in this case…
This was a Disston D20 skewback. Kind of narrow in the toe to begin with, but this one had been just ground too much…
This saw plate had some bends near the toe. Left, right, then a clockwise twist. So I came back to where it was straight and that’s pretty much how I decided where to cut it off.
Now it’s straight
Not sure if photo will show but only the top half of the etch is still there. The rest is ground off.
There is an eagle and liberty bell etch to the right of the Disston Bros etch and it’s also half gone. Only the top part of the liberty bell remains. Kind of a shame
Better idea of how much I cut off
Also had to clean up the butcher job at the heel from previous grindings
and round over where I had cut it off at the toe
Don’t have a saw vise yet, and waiting for saw files to arrive, but I had ONE file and a workmate and ended up with this
Don’t laugh… it actually worked pretty good except for the being bent over part. When I put the file into the saw I kind of felt around for where it felt right. This was not ground perpendicular to the plate. It had a bit of an angle to it, so I followed that and did one side, then the other. Mind you this was my first time sharpening so ….. not bad surprisingly. It felt kind of natural once I got going.
It needs the teeth set really badly. Because so much had been ground off, I sighted across the plate and some teeth have virtually no set to them at all. My saw set should be here Thursday and this is my practice saw, so we’ll see how it is after that. Right now it cuts pretty well, but wants to bind some.
And I couldn’t help but shine up her “buttons” a bit
So that’s it for SAWgery.
I’ll add an entry here once I get the teeth set so we can see how well I did with that file :)