LumberJocks

Cadmium Easel #5: Modification to the counter weight system

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Charlie posted 09-07-2013 09:17 PM 1009 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Counter weight system installed Part 5 of Cadmium Easel series no next part

I wasn’t happy With the nylon rope or the way the weights kinda swung around. So I’ve started modifying the counter weight system.

#1 I built a “weight box”. I just whipped one up out of pine to test this and will eventually replace it with something nicer looking. Although this one works really well.

#2 I switched from the nylon rope to 1/8” plastic coated cable. I had a bunch of it from a dog run we no longer use, so…. just bought a couple of cable clamps. I also used the turn-buckle that was on the cable already. It was used to tension the cable. It now works really well for levelling the weight box as I wasn’t sure I could get the cables cut exactly the same length and it would just bug the hell out of me if the box sat crooked.

#3 I moved the pulleys to be located over the ends of the weight box. This stopped almost ALL of the swinging around.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I have enough cherry left to rebuild the weight box in cherry, but I also might just build it out of some left over baltic birch ply. Or maybe maple…. I just don’t know yet. I’m just MUCH happier with it now and it feels really solid where before I wasn’t comfortable leaving the weights on. I was afraid the rope would break and the weights would crash down on the base.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase