I had to re-make the spline jig because I made it out of 1/4” ply and my bushing is just shy of 1/2” tall. So it just took a few minutes to make one out of 1/2” ply. I measured and measured. Using a combination square set to 2”, I carefully marked the location of the jig. After doing one side of the joint, I then flipped the jig, used the square to precisely set it in place, and then cut the mortises on the other side of the joint wit the router.
Then came squaring them up with a chisel.
After making the splines from some scrap maple, I fit them to the individual miters. That took a while. My first effort at putting it together looked really good from the outside,
but from the inside of the angle, not so good.
I realized I had cut the splines too close to the size of the mortises, and so I trimmed them a bit and cut a 45° angle on the inside corner of the spline. I, of course, did not have an exact match between the splines and the mortises, but the sum of the all the imperfections is that, across the board, this is a very snug fit.
Getting closer . . .
closer . . .
I think I got it.
Now that the biggest task is done, I think I’ll see if my daughter can cut the mortises for the shelf in the waterfall leg and in the underside of the top for the other leg. Cutting tenons and gluing the whole up us all that remains before final sanding and finishing.
-- "Man is the only animal which devours his own, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." ~Thomas Jefferson