Because woodworking is a hobby, I only get an hour or two a night (at most) in the shop on weekdays, and I travel a fair bit, so sometimes progress is a bit slow. Tonight I did a fair amount of cleaning in the shop (the spray of wood chips from flattening the boards went everywhere).
The most important task was setting up the crosscut. As you can probably tell, I feel like this is the single most important task of the entire project, so I am taking it slowly. Tonight I drew the line to align the guide for the cut. I found a piece of slick plastic I had and made sure the edge was flat and slick with a jointer plane. I am using the opening of my end vise to support the cut with a roller stand supporting the end.
I also set the angle on the circular saw with the cut. I have it at exactly 45° according to my digital bevel angle, but I will make a test cut with scrap before jumping in.
My other task for tonight was to check to see if the finishing method for the Walnut leg and shelf would be acceptable. I took a piece of scrap walnut, applied a dark walnut transtint dye mixed with denatured alcohol, then applied a thin coat of shellac, then applied and immediately wiped off a coat of General Finishes Spiced Walnut oil based stain. This method worked pretty well. I gave the scrap a quick sand, but nothing like I would a finished board. I just wanted to see if the color darkened well and evened out. I’m happy with the rushed experiment.
-- "Man is the only animal which devours his own, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." ~Thomas Jefferson