The board had one large knot at the end of the board. The knot was fairly soft, so I dug it out a bit and filled it with epoxy mixed with the router shavings from flattening it. I did not like the look I got—looked like melamine.
I dug out the knot from the other side and used finer sawdust instead of the router shavings (what I’ve done before). But the knot is so large that it now looked like I had filled it with MDF.
So, I used a chisel again and shaved off a 1/16” or so and tried again. This time I mixed some ebony MinWax stain with the epoxy. I am very happy with how it came out. The color is very close to the color of the knot that was there.
I then went about making the jig for the splines. I am using a 5/8” bushing with a 1/2” router bit to make the mortises for the splines. I laid it out on a 1/4” piece of plywood.
I then carefully measured a dado stack to correspond to the bushing size, and cut out the jig on the table saw.
I had laid out the cut for the leg a couple of days ago. My daughter came into the shop tonight and we looked over the board, and she convinced me to switch the waterfall leg to the other end, so I laid out a new line. My next step will be to cut the leg and then cut the spline mortises with the jig.
-- "Man is the only animal which devours his own, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." ~Thomas Jefferson