|Blog series by ChadR||updated 08-19-2011 05:01 AM||7 parts||27214 reads||22 comments total|
I started this project as anyone should, with a proper plan. I realized i needed a workshop shed after I saw how many projects I had stacking up. I started my design as a small shed of 6×10 but thought that would be to small. I changed the design to be 8×8. This helped with adding more space for movement inside the shed as well as helped with not having to rip plywood boards too much. I used Sketchup to make my plan. Designing the shed on Sketchup took about a week and a half.
I went to Home Depot after a lot of price checking. I picked up 52 2×4 studs, 12 plywood boards, 4 4×4 and 6 piers. I rented one of their trucks and took it over to my house. Then I went to a few garage sales in the area and found two great windows, haggled a bit, and got a great price for them. Now I am all ready to start assembly.
I started the first building day by assembling the two floor pieces and one of the window walls. Got the window all framed in and I am ready for the next building day.
Build day 2 was much like day 1. I completed the second window wall with a little help from the wife. I also completed the back wall. Now all I have left to complete is the two roof pieces and the entrance wall. I am starting to run out of lumber and realized I under estimated my lumber needs. I will have to make another run to Home Depot.
Build Day 3 is going to be a short day. I have limited lumber due to under estimating. I started by framing the entrance wall. The door is going to be a little bit smaller then I thought. I am going to have to duck to enter but that’s okay. I ran out of lumber just in time to complete the entrance wall. I threw on the plywood and then cut out the doors. I then started to lay out the pieces in the spot for assembly. I will have wait till the wife gets home to move the other pieces into l...
Today I assemblies all the walls and floors together. I used 4 1/2” and 6” hexbolts to attach the pieces together. I did this because I am only renting the house I live at and want to be able to disassemble and take it with me when I move into my own house. Unless my landlord wants to buy it off me (fingers crossed) I designed the shed to be assembled this way and I am really proud of myself that its all coming together. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish the roof.
Today I spent about 6 hours finishing up my shed. Well finishing the construction of the shed. I completed the roof bolted it to the rest of the shed and then built the doors and attached the lock. I have moved all my equipment into the shed and all that’s left in this project is to paint it for weather protection.