So as you could tell the previous deck wasnt very much or very well put together so a good Sawzall blade and the biggest hammer I could find cleaned it out nicely. Next up was laying out the “Main” deck. I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with the Texas Hill Country soil but in summary its Rock covered with more rocks. So what I thought would be a quick hour or so job too 1 weekend of back breaking work. Basically I would have to get close to where I wanted all of my batter boards and then I drove 1/2” rods to and made metal batter boards. from there I laid out my grid of holds and at each intersection drove another rod to make a hole and then followed it up with a wooden stake. Some places were so bad we had to bring out the Hilti to drill down then drive a stake in after it was opened.
Once everything was laid out, I went back the following weekend and redid all of the batter boards as the wire wasn’t holding up very well and replaced all of them with true wooden ones with screws so the lines could be removed to drill all of the holes.
We had to bring in a guy with a true rock boring bit on his tractor. At this point its hard to tell the true size of the deck but we’re getting there.
-- When life hands you lemons, ask for the salt and tequila.