It would appear I’ve either forgotten how to link these two blogs by editing them into a series or it’s not letting me. In either case, I thought I would do some editing here to provide a bit more context.
I think it was appropriate to provide this second blog as a balance. It occurred to me that I didn’t want this to be a rant. It was intended to show a project for the perusal of this audience as a curiousity and not to be some whining complaint.
In the spirit of providing this balance I did want to make two comments.
In tooting my own horn, I designed this ceiling system with “designers” drawings that contained alot of generalities (when things got too hard to draw, they were sort of glossed over.) From a distance of about 250 miles, i.e., there was no way I could just go measure something if I wasn’t sure what it was, I was gratified in how well the ceiling went in. There were really no major screw ups. In went in as it was intended.
Second, I designed in systems for covering “sins.” The building was all over the place, so I made sure there was a way to cover up gaps and cock-eyed-ness, etc. without it looking like cover ups. Giving credit to the union boys, they installed it in such a way as to NOT need scribe that was provided.
If you can imagine….each frame with the panels is 5/4’s and was approx. 6 1/2” away from things like the trusses and other adjoining frames and panels. A 7” wide 4/4 board then overlayed that by 3/8” ( in the first photo you can see where some of that has not been installed yet and you can see exposed plywood.) Some of the trusses were several inches out of whack as were windows and other things. We made scribe to go between this 4/4 board and anything it might be out of whack with. Again, to the credit of the union boys, they installed it by scribing each 4/4 board and NO scribe was used. It looks very good that way.
That’s what I wanted to put in here for balance.
End of Edit:
While I’m still not happy about the union situation, I’m posting this as an update to my previous blog. It shows some of the progress on the Cog Hill Golf Course project install we should have been doing. They’ve done a good job overall, but, not without screwing some stuff up.
Anyway, it is appropriate to show the job they have done so far.
This is showing one of the main ceiling sections almost complete. Yes, the lense is dirty.
This is one of the dormer details.
They are working on the main floor right now. I have no pics of the walnut columns or crown yet. If I never see this room again, it will be too soon.
(sorry about the sour grapes…but I’ve never been one to hold back.)
-- arborial reconfiguration specialist