So, this is my current project in progress. I am framing a storage shed to put the garden and yard tools, so I can get a little more space in the garage for the workshop.
Real glad to be past the digging out for the footer blocks, and the squaring of the footers. Found that my stabila torpedo level with a right angle prism was a great help in lining up to the house and also squaring the block positions.
I had upgraded my old craftsman direct drive noisy compressor to a 200psi dewalt belt drive that is quiet, compact, and provides a wonderful air supply for my new Paslode framing nailer, which for this project is an indespensable tool. I’ve never been good at toe nailing and the Paslode will toe nail even a 3 1/2 nail without the board blinking!! I will review both at the end of this project, but I can tell you that with the dewalt compressor there is no stair stepping of nails as it cuts out at 200psi but cuts back in at 160psi, so you are not left waiting for air to build back up. This is great when your are shooting a lot of nails in rapid succession.
But I digress.
So, I have built a deck or two before but this is my first time framing, and I am enjoying the learning experience. My photos here will show where I am as of today, where it looks like I have a good weekend to get the rafters and hopefully the plywood sheathing on the roof!!
Okay so almost 7:30am on Sat. and time to go layout and put up my rafter ties, and then the time consuming task of cutting the birdsmouths. Don’t mind the miter work for my 5/12 pitch roof rafters, but with the 2×4’s, the birds mouth is a small but important cut, and with 20 to cut I got to get moving now so I will post pics when I finish later today or tomorrow depending on how in gear I get.
Well allright its Sunday afternoon and I did get rained on twice Saturday, and I mean a heavy downpour, so had to finish up today with the adding of the rafters and ceiling joists. Got the ceiling joists in Sat. and a few rafters, but got all of them cut, so just had to install today.
So, it was a pain running up and down the ladder, first tacking the birdsmouth cut and then to the ridge to nail the rafter, then do the matching one and then back to finish nailing the rafter to the ceiling joist and anchoring to the top plate. But, satisfaction only comes after hard work, so just did get ahead of some pm thunder and get the basic room frame in.
I’ve got some clean up work to do yet, like trimming off the piece of the ceiling joist that peeks over the rafter on each top plate. My jig saw or sawzall will be used there. I also have to add some vertical stud members at each gable end, as they will serve as nailers for the siding up to the peak.
But… it was a weekend well spent getting most of this phase completed. Really I am not to far at all from getting the sheathing on the roof and then will add the window and siding to finally tie everything together, and then some roofing felt and I will be semi dried in.