I was not able to work on this project last weekend as it was a yard and garden work weekend.
Today though I got back into the shop and began cutting the mortise and tenon joinery for the table base.
I used my little woodpeckers rule stop to mark out the mortises and really like this little tool.
I cut the mortises first with my plunge router and guide using a 1/4 inch upspiral bit.
It did take me awhile to cut the mortises for the upper and lower rails, but everything I do in woodworking seems to take a bit of time.
Once the mortises were cut in the legs, I switched from the handheld router to the router table to cut the tenons.
I used my new Osborne miter gauge on the router table to cut the tenons, and that worked great!!
After the tenons were cut it was time to handshape the square tenons into the rounded mortises. To do this I used a rough and a fine rasp. Again, sigh that took awhile to get the fit right and fairly tight.
However I was fairly pleased with the progress and results from this necessary detail work to get a solid base going for this table.
I rough fit all the rails and legs together and marked a few tenons that need some fine tuning as a couple would not seat entirely flush leaving me just a tad out of square at this point.
My next step will be to cut a through mortise in the lower rail at each end. That is why it is an inch thicker than my upper rails. The through tenon will be the support for a shelf underneath the table.
So, not a bad day in the shop and nothing badly screwed up that I can see at this point. That in itself is good for me, as usually at this point I am planning how to work around a screwed up section of a project.