I assembled my replacement saw that HD delivered yesterday.
The new saw did not appear to have any significant design changes, but it does have much better quality control, machining, and fit. My old saw was #0534, and the new one is 06069.
It went together fast as I had done it before, but also every nut and bolt went on smooth. No thread issues at all which made installing the granite extension wiings a short task.
I figured the shoe would drop when I installed the fence as my old one took a lot of adjustment to finally get it to lock down properly and in parallel. The old one also moved a bit sloppy even though it did lock down well and hold parallel.
This fence. This fence is much much better. Someone somewhere at the OEM listened and though I am not a fan of the split rail design, with this new one the front and rear rails fit together nicely and attached easily. The fence itself was nearly dead on out of the box and needed only half a turn on the adjustment screw on the brake pad to get it parallel. It glides so much better and smoother than my old one I ran it into the blade guard trying it out. It locks very tight and I now like it.
I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. I assumed I was assembling the same saw as my old one, and would have to go through the same hassles of fine tuning everything. So far that has not been the case, and where I was never really thrilled with my old fence, the one on this saw looks the same but you can tell that the weld on the T bar is beefier, newer design on the front glide pads and nearly every issue I had with the old fence is gone in this new one.
So a good ending thus far to the recall episode. I am now glad I opted for the replacement saw, as my only other choice would have been to upgrade to a 3hp for more money. If that ever becomes a need then I’ll do it, but for now this saw will suffice my needs and is a joy to use.