LumberJocks

Chessboard

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by CartersWhittling updated 937 days ago 8 parts 19139 reads 26 comments total

Part 1: Design Plan

1268 days ago by CartersWhittling | 7 comments »

Hello. I have started a chessboard and set for an uncle and thought I would set up a project build so that I can get advice from other woodworkers and to hopefully inspire someone else. I am using maple and walnut for the project and the walnut was all resawn from logs I got from my opa’s firewood pile. So far I have almost all the walnut parts cut and the drawer dovetailed. I still need to cut most of the maple parts and then I can beginning joinery for the board. I will use dovetails ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Drawers and Posts

1251 days ago by CartersWhittling | 2 comments »

Today I got off work early and the weather was +10 so I spent some time in the garage. I dovetailed the maple drawer and got the second walnut corner post turned. I had also glued up the 8 board stripes last night so I did some flattening to the board to prepare it to be crosscut. The dovetails turned out good on one side, but on the other I have some gaps so I might put some shims in at glue up. I have the drawer bottoms planed to thickness but still have not decided for sure if the drawers ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Walnut Drawer Front and More Pieces

1140 days ago by CartersWhittling | 4 comments »

Hello. This is a update to my chessboard build. Its been a long time since my last post here because I have been busy, working on some other projects, and trying to aquire the tools and materials to finish the board. The last couple days I have completed most of the pawns with 4 left to be done. I have finished the Kings and Queens as well as the other large pieces aside from the Knights. It is very fun to turn some of the maple pieces because I come across some neat spalting like in the clos...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Knights

1110 days ago by CartersWhittling | 1 comment »

Hey guys. I have finished the knights for my uncle’s set a couple weeks ago now, so the set is complete! All I have left is to weight the pieces and finish the bottoms off with some felt (and glue some small balls to the top of the white bishops). I used hand saws to remove the bulk of the material, and a dremel with carving bits to do some of the rough shaping. Then I used an X-acto knife to carve the details, and finished with some sanding and buffing. I worked on all four knights at ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Update

966 days ago by CartersWhittling | 2 comments »

Hello. It has been a long time since my last blog post because I had taken time off to build my workbench and organize the shop. I have now started up again with no other projects on the go and plan on finishing it soon. To summarize where I left off:-I had the drawer sides dovetailed.-2 walnut posts made.-The chess pieces all done.-The board strips glued up.-And the walnut drawer fronts made. To summarize where I am now:-The drawers are assembled with dividers in place. The bottoms and...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Doweling

958 days ago by CartersWhittling | 1 comment »

Hello. After my last post I was ready to start joinery on the main carcase. So I decided to do a dowel joint. I just used a simple block of wood with a 3/8” hole and fence clamped to it. The hole was placed so that it would be centered on 3/4” stock. I have lines drawn around the jig to locate the centre of the hole so I could align the jig to my marks on the work pieces. Here is the carcase disassembled with the dowels in place. You may be able to see in the picture the...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Carcase Assembled

954 days ago by CartersWhittling | 4 comments »

Hello. Since my last post I got the carcase glued together. But before I glued the carcase together I drilled two countersunk holes through the rails. These are going to be for screws that will go through the rails into the board’s frame, holding the top to the carcase. The holes are slightly larger than the screws, so they should allow for any wood movement between the carcase and top. Before glue up I smoothed the inside surfaces. After the carcase was dry I clamped it to my ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Completion

937 days ago by CartersWhittling | 5 comments »

Hello. About a week ago I finished my chessboard project and gave it to my uncle on Christmas Eve. I do not have any good pictures of the completed project yet. My uncle’s wife is a photographer so I will soon get pictures of the board from her, then post pictures of the finished project. After the last blog entry, the first task I had to do was plane the underside of the board to fit to the groove in the frame. I just used my scrub plane to roughly flatten and bevel all edges until ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase