Hello. About a week ago I finished my chessboard project and gave it to my uncle on Christmas Eve. I do not have any good pictures of the completed project yet. My uncle’s wife is a photographer so I will soon get pictures of the board from her, then post pictures of the finished project.
After the last blog entry, the first task I had to do was plane the underside of the board to fit to the groove in the frame. I just used my scrub plane to roughly flatten and bevel all edges until they fit in the groove.
Then I glued the frame together, smoothed the frame, and started applying the coats of tung oil.
I also added strips inside the carcase for the drawers to slide on. I originally had another plan to make special drawer slides, but later decided to do the drawers more traditionally. Because of the design change there was about 1/4” extra height above the drawers so I added the strips for the drawers to slide on.
Now it was time to attach the posts to the carcase. So I attached cleats to the fillers. I put 2 screws through each cleat into the frame of the false drawer fronts. I could have simply glued the edge of the filler to the false drawer front, although because of wood movement in the carcase, there is a chance that something could crack. So by screwing the flase drawer fronts on through oversized holes, the will be some give if any movement does occur.
After the cleats were attached I could fix the posts to the carcase.
Now I was ready to attach the drawer fronts to the drawers. Before fixing the fronts on I had to plane the edges until they fit with even gaps between the posts and drawer front sides. Once I got good clearnace I just used 2 screws to fix the fronts on.
After the fronts were attached I worked on the drawer pulls. After a little thought, help from a friend, and a prototype I came up with the shape for the pulls. They are shaped to have one or two fingers lift underneath and have your thumb rest on top. I fixed them to the drawer fronts with 3 toothpicks and super glue.
After that all I had to do was screw the top to the carcase and oil and wax some parts.
With the board done I still had to weigh the pieces. So I got a 3/4” diameter steel rod and cut it into 1/2”, 3/4”, and 7/8” sections with an angle grinder. The pawns and bishops have 1/2” weights, the kings have 7/8” weights and the rest have 3/4”. To drill the holes I got a board with 3 sized holes drilled through it which allowed the chess pieces to slide through upside down and have their bottom ring rest around the hole. Then I used the drill press to drill the holes. As a note, the next set I make I will drill the holes before turning the pieces.
I may still put some felt on the bottoms of the pieces if my uncle requests it.
So there is the finished project. I started it over a year ago, but only worked on it sporadically throughout the year. Like I said earlier, I will have some good photos from my aunt fairly soon. I hope you guys learnt something and possibly got inspired to try making your own sets.
-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23 http://carterswhittling.wordpress.com/