Hello, this is probably my last workbench blog entry, now that my bench is complete! Like I said in my last blog, the workbench has been complete a couple weeks before this post on November 12. With my last post I had wrote about completing the base. After I had the base assembled, glued up, and drawbored I placed the bench top onto the base. Previous to putting the top on the base I had put one coat of boiled linseed oil on the underside of the top. The top is removable from the base, I decided not to drawbore or glue the tenons that insert into the bench top because I feel there is no need to, and it will make moving the bench in the future much more easy. After I had the top in place I did a final flattening of the top surface and a light scrapping.
Then I began work on the sliding deadman. I had a piece of walnut I had kept for this part and milled it to size. The deadman is around 2 3/8” thick. I then cut the angled groove in the bottom of the deadman with a router and 90 degree cutter. This took a lot of fine cuts to ease up to the final fit. I also cut the top portion out which goes into the groove in the bench top. Next I drilled the holes out which are spaced up and down every 1”. Then I cut and shaped it. I am sorry but I forgot to get some pictures of the work in progress.
After the sliding deadman was complete I worked on the leg vise. This turned out more complicating than it should because I could not find a 2 1/2” drill bit. I attempted a try at a brace with an adjustable bit, but just as I thought, drilling a 2 1/2” diameter hole in hard maple by hand is impossible. I finally obtained a circle cutter to cut a template which I used to route out the hole in the legvise chop that I needed. Before routing the hole I used the largest drill bit I had to remove most of the waste. I then used my horizontal mortiser attatchment on my table saw to cut out the place for the internal garter. I also made a screw that fit nicely into the nut in the leg. Before shaping the leg vise chop I made the guide that goes on the bottom of the vise which has the holes drilled in it. After the vise was complete I made a handle for each of the 3 vises on my bench and applied the boiled linseed oil.
I was in a hurry the final week of the build so I forgot to get pictures of the legvise and deadman in progress. But here are two pictures of the completed workbench.
Here are two videos I made going over the bench now that it is finished. The first is more technical, where I go over the reasons behind the design and construction, while the second I show how each vise works and performs.
-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23 http://carterswhittling.wordpress.com/