Hello. I have now finished the tail vise, and today I had acually started work on the base. After I had got the dovetails for the tailvise fit and the pins on the guide rod I cut out the place for the pins to be inserted in the vise assembly. I then started work on getting the notches cut in the guide blocks for the sliding parts.
Here you can see the guide rod in place, with the one guide block attached to the end cap with a notch for the guide rod to slide through aswell as a small notch where the 1/4” doghole cover is.
Here you can see the second guide block with the guide rod attached between them. There is also a notch cut in the tail vise so it can slide through the guide rod.
This is a view of the bench while it is the right way up. You can see the notch cut out in the top of the end cap which the vise cover will slide over.
Here the cover is on the vise but not glued down yet.
Then I took the vise apart and drilled the 2” hole out for the screw to pass through and mortised the hole for the garter.
Here the hole is drilled out with the mortise for the garter. In my hand is the garter which goes into the hole and will catch a groove in the screw. The garter pulls the vise back when you reverse the screw.
Here I have the detail cut out in the end of the vise. I do not know if this serves anything practically, maybe reduce weight, but it looks nice anyways.
Here I’ve got the 2” diameter 2tpi screw for the tailvise. This was only going to by a practice screw because I can only fit a 14” length on my lathe, and the threads could be an extra 2” longer and the hub an inch or two longer aswell. The groove in the screw is for the garter to engage.
Next I glued the tail vise together and planed the joints flush. I also attached a 3/4” x 3/4” piece to the bottom of the doghole cover. This acts as extra support and guidance while the vise moves.
Here the 3/4” x 3/4” piece is attached and the vise all glued together. After you put this piece on you need to go back and lengthing the notch in the end of the guide block for it to slide through.
Then I glued the cover onto the tailvise. Before its glued on clamp it in place and make sure as you move the vise in and out the cover is not binding and everything slides nicely.
Then I took the vise off and began work on chiseling out the holes through the cover for the dogholes. I flipped the vise upside down and put a drill bit through each doghole and drilled through the cover. I then flipped it upright and used the hole as a guide to start chiseling. I also used a square and marked 2 lines along the cover to mark the edges of the holes. Then I just chiseled until the sides of the holes were flush and beveled the top edges.
Then I put the whole vise assembly together and clamped the vise shut and planed the cover flush with the top and put the bench on edge and planed the side of the vise flush with the bench side.
I also roughly flattened the whole bench top at this point.
Then I began work on the bench dogs which are in the previous blog post.
Here is a video where I explain how the vise works and show you how it moves.
-- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord... Colossians 3:23 http://carterswhittling.wordpress.com/