Stanley 2358 Miter Box Restoration #2: I finally got around to cleaning it up

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by CarterR posted 02-23-2015 08:09 PM 1624 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: I found another tool to restore Part 2 of Stanley 2358 Miter Box Restoration series no next part

I thought I would immediately clean this miter box up and apply some paint to keep it from rusting, but I didn’t. I finally did it and the pictures are below. I made a new handle, base and top from some leftover cherry. I removed all the gunk and rust with Jasco rust remover. I then spay painted it with black rustoleum. After that I polished all the bare metal parts with a buffer. I accidentally cleared the black off of the nameplate, you can still see the miter box information, but I did not intentionally remove it. Oh well, maybe I will try to fix it later.


3 comments so far

View ronniebo's profile


125 posts in 2084 days

#1 posted 02-23-2015 09:54 PM

I`m confused!!!
I see the lovely restoration of the mitre saw and think that in my workshop we would be lucky to see it for all the other mess and toys that fill the place.
Where are all your signs of activity mate?? the sawdust everywhere in spite of vacs ago go, spanners, solvents, cables,other tools, bags a rags, half finished projects, mistakes, and paint tins.
Ron in Sunny Hobart

View CarterR's profile


86 posts in 1437 days

#2 posted 02-23-2015 10:05 PM


A clean shop is happy shop!


View hhhopks's profile


645 posts in 1796 days

#3 posted 02-24-2015 03:24 AM

Nice looking mitre box & saw.

-- I'll be a woodworker when I grow up. HHHOPKS

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics