I just finished laying an unfinished American Cherry hardwood floor in my 326 sq ft living room. I researched this project from beginning to end for about 2 months and it really paid off. I’m now finishing it with a polymerized tung oil product. A professional carpentry friend started us out the first day by helping us lay the first line straight because of an obstacle we had to go around. He was here in my home for 2 hours. My husband and I worked on it together for the remainder of that day. The day and a half following I was pretty much on my own because my husband had to work. Running into problems will teach you more than anything and I definitely hit a few! The last 2 1/2 rows were the hardest to lay because I ended on a wall that had water baseboard heating vents. With no one else having run into this situation I had to figure out a solution myself. I ended up removing the back of the vents as well as the front in order to get the leverage I needed to use a pry bar and block to push the boards together. Then I took a grinder because I had no router and shaved off the lower inside of every groove in order to get the boards to fit snugly. Both together solved the problem wonderfully! I guess there’s a tool that can be used in these situations but it is very expensive to buy and so specialized that they aren’t available to rent.
The thing that really added an extra touch to this project was a step of faith I took in removing the outside drywall surface of a small divider wall in the room. It revealed a portion of the brick chimney and a 4×4 load bearing post. We ran the hardwood flooring between the two. I’m going to cover the load bearing post with wood that I’m going to tung oil and and turn it into a beautiful pillar. The pics in my project section should show what I’m talking about.
-- Denise, True success is finding out what God is doing and getting in on it.