LumberJocks

Limbert Lamp Table - Stickley #240

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by CaptainSkully updated 10-25-2009 09:40 PM 9 parts 26269 reads 50 comments total

Part 1: Templates

07-15-2009 03:43 AM by CaptainSkully | 2 comments »

So, between TreeFrogFurniture.BlogSpot.com and Robert Lang’s book “More Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture”, I decided that the corner of our dining room could stand an accent table. TreeFrog has built two different styles, so I “borrowed” the plans for the one I liked (he posted them online) and made my first template. I’m going to wait to make the interior template until I have the shell complete. The angles make things a bit messy. Like Tre...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Glue Ups

07-31-2009 06:06 PM by CaptainSkully | 1 comment »

Yesterday, I milled up four long, rough boards to 3/4”. The Robert Lang book uses thicker stock, but I had to get rid of the saw marks. I chopped them up a bit oversized to give me some leeway during the glue up. I arranged the boards for defects and grain to give me the best four sides out. I glued up one panel every two hours last night during dinner and a movie. This morning they’re all ready for the band saw. One thing I’ve noticed is that there seems to be a lot o...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Jigs & Dry Fit

08-01-2009 05:38 AM by CaptainSkully | 2 comments »

Following TreeFrog as closely as possible, I cut out the blanks for the sides. I cheated a tad and used the wedges from the prototype to establish the tapers on the sides. One one side, I used one wedge, on the second side, I had to use both to compensate for the previous taper. These were cut with the blade at 90 degrees to the table saw to give me a point of reference when I’m cutting the miters. I created the jigs to hold the sides stable while I cut them at a 44 degree mit...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Template Routing

08-12-2009 04:50 AM by CaptainSkully | 9 comments »

I was able to get back out into the shop and make some progress on this project. This was my first foray into template routing. I can definitely see the power of this technique. I was able to knock out the inside, decorative cuts on all four sides and they’re identical. They need almost no sanding. The slight errors in the template were the only problems on the finished sides. It took only a light hand sanding to fix those. I didn’t have too much trouble with wood grain, ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Progress as Promised...

08-27-2009 07:00 AM by CaptainSkully | 1 comment »

Today, I was able to glue up the top, cut it out, and sand it. It looks pretty damn cool.

Read this entry »


Part 6: Final Glue Up & Finish

09-07-2009 11:44 PM by CaptainSkully | 11 comments »

At the urging of my girlfriend, I fumed a small scrap of QSWO and then went over it with amber shellac and dark brown wax, buffing it out with 0000 steel wool. It’s pretty magnificent. As a result, I decided to give my Limbert table an “authentic” Stickley finish. While waiting for the glue to cook, I fashioned what can only be described as an impromptu fuming tent. Even one of my neighbors came over to see what monstrosity I was building, as they’re usually ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Fumearama

09-08-2009 09:11 PM by CaptainSkully | 9 comments »

After letting the glue cure overnight, I took it out of the clamps and gave it a final hand sanding. Not too bad, but could be better. I think next time I’ll err on making the legs touch on the outside corners instead of a flat meeting. This caused some gappage that I filled with putty. Since our dog laid down by the tent, I figured it was time to fume. There’s no better time than the present. I carefully put the tent over the table and then propped them both up en...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Ammonia Fume Finish

09-12-2009 08:24 PM by CaptainSkully | 8 comments »

Well, after three days in solitary, I decided to pop the the weasel. The different boards fumed to different tones, but I think with shellac and brown furniture wax, it’ll be just non-perfect enough for some charm. The wood putty had no tannins in it, so it’s almost white. Luckily, one corner is perfect, so that’ll be the one facing out. I tried my Dark Fumed Oak aniline dye, and it didn’t work on the putty either. I even brushed the liquid ammonia directly on...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Finish Line

10-25-2009 09:40 PM by CaptainSkully | 7 comments »

I finally had a day to work on our stuff. With a little urging from my girlfriend to finish the fumed table sitting in our dining room, I bit the bullet and gave it a good shellacing. This was my first time using shellac. It’s pretty difficult to work with, as it dries fast and leave a build-up. I cut the Zinser Amber in half with denatured alcohol, and grabbed a beer for myself (I thought it only fair), and went to town on it. It gave it a nice, rich look. When that dried, I ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase