It’s been months since I’ve been able to do any woodworking. I guess being busy in this economy is a good thing. I finally got a couple of days in the shop to address in-progress projects. The biggest was my mental block on the 4-sided quartersawn legs for the dining table. In a previous entry, I discussed how I botched the lock miter joint. It took me a while to get up the nerve to get back to work on them because if I biffed it again, they’d be too thin and I’d wasted $100 worth of wood.
A while ago, I chopped them back apart, then removing as little wood as possible, I table sawed them at 45°, jointed an edge to get a straight shot at the table saw fence, cleaned them up with a large chamfer bit on the router table, then cut spline slots into the miters on the table saw. Using some hardboard I had left over from the Rodel chair template, I fit the splines. It was tough getting them glued up, but the end result is almost perfect.
After the glue dried, I sanded the clamp marks and glue off, and ran the edges through the router table to ease the edges. The bonus is that the seams almost completely disappeared. With my new favorite dark antique finish, they should be completely invisible. I trimmed them to length, and will chamfer the bottoms.
While the legs were curing (2.5 hours each, remind me to buy more clamps), I made the spindles. I’m going for a modified Taliesin Desk by Rodel. This sort of reconciles my conflict with Schroeder’s design. Once again drawn up in AutoCAD, here’s where I’m heading:
I did a lot of layout to make sure the chairs fit comfortably underneath the sides and ends, because of the overhangs and the trestle design. Next is picking up some more wood for the aprons and the laminated stretchers. It felt really good to be covered in sawdust again.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails