So today, I cleaned up the shop a bit and started on the template to make the back legs. Based on my AutoCAD drawing, I laid it out on some 1/4” masonite (hardboard). I even remembered to make it longer to affix the ends together. I cut it out and faired it as best I could. It’s almost perfect (you can spot 1/1000” off) when sighting down it. It looks pretty darn good from the side.
I then double-sided taped it to a roughed out blank and using my pattern-following bit, made an exact duplicate, which needed almost no sanding. I then started laying out the mortises, because that’s how you mount the blank to the template (the mortises will eventually eliminate the screw holes). You just have to make sure to screw half the legs on one side, and half on the other, so that the mortises will be on the inside (note to self). BTW, I made sure to put the rough side of the masonite inside to have the slick outside slide better on the router table.
I’m gluing up the 1 1/2” blocks/spacers for the end of the jig, and will route them to fit tomorrow, after the glue dries. After that, it’s gluing up large 1 1/2” blanks for the legs out of 3/4” stock. I’ll obviously try to optimize because the bent back leg could waste a lot of wood. I’ll try to get the front legs out of the waste. While that’s curing, I’ll start on thinner parts like spindles, gussets, etc.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails