So, the new top is in daily use. I put seven or eight coats of Bristol Finish water-based polyurethane on it. It’s a marine varnish for boat interiors, which I used on my old table, and it’s pretty impervious. No coasters required! It’s still sitting on top of the mock-up MDF and the old table, so it’s pretty high.
I was going to start on the Rodel Taliesin base next, but since I made the leaves, I don’t have enough lumber to make the base, or the money right now to get more lumber. My thought was to make the prototype chair next. This will use less wood, and let me make all of my mistakes on the first chair. Then I can make the other five in a batch. Right now, we’re using pakka wood (from the rubber tree) chairs bought online and assembled. They’re pretty crappy, but suffice.
My girlfriend is concerned that I might “forget” about building the base because her Dad is still working on his kitchen cabinets after ten years. I assured her this wouldn’t be the case with me, I just would rather optimize what I have to work with than lay out a few hundred more bucks right now.
So, if I pull the trigger, I’ll be starting the rather popular Rodel chair next. I didn’t bother getting full-size plans because they’re pretty linear. The first step will be to make the templates for the back legs. Once I’m comfortable with how that looks, I’ll be able to start some glue-ups to achieve my required thickness. There are lots of little pieces that can be made in between the bigger, more complicated pieces.
As I’ve said before, I’m going to leave out the filler strips between the back splat spindles. I think this will give them a lighter look and offset the monolithic look of the table.
I’m pretty darn excited about starting this phase of the project. The old chairs look horrible next to the new table top. I’ve never made chairs before, so this will be a quantum leap in my woodworking. I can only envision the rickety, crooked monstrosity that I’m going to pour hours of blood, sweat, and tears into. The good news is that I think I’m being smart about making the single prototype first and making all my mistakes on that one. I’ll try to post the process, good and bad, as I go. Wish me luck!
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails