LumberJocks

Arts & Crafts Dining Room Set #10: Make Like a Tree & Leaves

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by CaptainSkully posted 01-12-2010 02:19 AM 1587 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 9: My New Stickley Finish! Part 10 of Arts & Crafts Dining Room Set series Part 11: Next Step... »

I was able to successfully refinish my boo boos on the breadboard ends. I also sanded the leaves and finished them at the same time. The ends had a bit more stain to start with (from the previous finish), but they both came out looking great. I’m really glad I learned my lesson on shellac. BTW, it did a bit of redistributing of the aniline dye, so I had to quickly blend/tip it before it got tacky. I missed a couple of spots on one leaf but was able to blend it in with the gel stain. Only I’ll know why that splotch is there. The grain really shows through nicely if you rub the gel stain out with a clean cloth. If the cloth gets saturated, it stays a bit muddy looking.
.
.

^ The differential you see in the photo is partly flash, but mostly the light fixture above the table. The real look is somewhere in between the overexposed grain on the right and the dark grain on the left. It looks really good under our mica dining lamp. I will be replacing that ASAP.

I used my random orbital sander to remove the faulty finish. I didn’t realize until I made the Limbert lamp table that the ROS creates so many swirls in the wood. It’s actually pretty inconvenient and relatively difficult to remove. I increased grit a couple of times, then used a cabinet scraper to get it all out. Geesh…

So, I’ll be putting on several coats of a water-based urethane that’s originally intended for marine use, but will make a bullet-proof (and more importantly water-proof) finish. I used it on my old dining table, and you have to hit it with a hammer to ding it. The manufacturer says they use it on gymnasium floors. Good enough for me. I hate having to worry about coasters, especially at the dinner table.

After that, it’s time to start working on the base. I’ll probably bust out my new 45* lock miter bit and make some 4” x 4” legs. I used up a lot of extra lumber making the expansion stuff and the leaves, so I might have to run back over to Plywood and Lumber Supply to get a bit more QSWO. I’m actually pretty happy with my decision to go with the Rodel design. I just need to make sure there’s room to tuck your feet in under the ends.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails



2 comments so far

View Napaman's profile

Napaman

5510 posts in 3543 days


#1 posted 01-18-2010 08:05 AM

keep on truckin

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

View Dez's profile

Dez

1162 posts in 3543 days


#2 posted 01-18-2010 08:13 AM

Nicely done!

-- Folly ever comes cloaked in opportunity!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com