So today after sailing lessons, we used the boat to “test drive” our contraption. The kite flew very well on just 4 knots under motor, but we had to tweak the lines a bit to get it to fly horizontally. We discussed that the kite can only be flown while we’re going upwind, but that still gives us lots of leeway. The reel performed very well, especially the two speed handles. As you can see, I’m in the process of lightening the reel by drilling holes. We’re still working on the parallel linkage. We put the camera out front and the leverage caused the entire assembly to tilt too far forward. We need to find a way to get the camera centered along the bottom member to address this problem.
We’ve only got a couple of more days for design and testing until we have to disassemble this monstrosity and put it in our checked luggage. Wish me luck! Today is more camera mounting fabrication and I’m making a tail to stabilize the kite from “hunting”. Overall, it was very successful.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails