I finally had a day to work on our stuff. With a little urging from my girlfriend to finish the fumed table sitting in our dining room, I bit the bullet and gave it a good shellacing. This was my first time using shellac. It’s pretty difficult to work with, as it dries fast and leave a build-up. I cut the Zinser Amber in half with denatured alcohol, and grabbed a beer for myself (I thought it only fair), and went to town on it. It gave it a nice, rich look. When that dried, I busted out all of my dark gel stains and did a test swatch on the underside of the top. I really liked the authentic, antique look that General Finishes “Antique Walnut” gave it, so I gave the whole thing one coat. I’m pretty satisfied with the look. The gel stain gave it a very rick, old look. I’ll wait for the gel to polymerize and then put three coats of Arm-R-Seal Satin on it. When that’s done, some dark brown furniture wax. After that, it’s ready for large salad bowls and trivets. Trivets, hmmm…
I’m resisting the urge to load it up into the truck and run over to Craftsman Home in Berkeley for a comparison to the real thing. I think this blog is done. Thanks for watching.
I’m going to have to seriously resist building the accompanying piece, the Limber Fern Stand #244:
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails