LumberJocks

Arts & Crafts Night Stands #7: Glue & Mold

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by CaptainSkully posted 10-02-2009 11:49 PM 844 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Almost Done! Part 7 of Arts & Crafts Night Stands series Part 8: The Pour »

Final Glue Up!

After finishing the parts with TransTint #6003 Reddish Brown and three coats of hand-rubbed poly, I was able to glue them up. It went reasonably well. This design doesn’t have a back panel, so it’s easy for it to get out of square. I glued one of the shelves in backwards, but learned my lesson on the second one. After cooking for a couple of hours, they went into the house to get out of the garage.

It was now time for me to start working on the concrete tops. My brother-in-law suggested BuddyRhodes countertop concrete, which you can get from a good, local lumber yard (not an orange or blue big box store). So I ran over and dropped $120 on the mix (two 70# bags of crete and a quart of dry dye). This should make nine square feet of top 1 1/2” thick. I only need eight, so I should be good to go. I also ran over to the big box and got a half sheet of melamine, some metal lath, and a couple of cheap concrete tools. By this time, we’re almost at $200. I cut the bottoms to the final size, and wrapped them with sides taller than the concrete will be thick. Maybe next time, I’ll make the sides exactly the thickness I need in order to simplify floating the concrete. I need to mention that the molds are upside down, meaning that the concrete on the bottom of the mold will be the top of the night stand. I also need to mention that the mold gets screwed together so it’s easy to demold a couple hours after the pour. If you blow a screw hole that sticks into the mold, you’ve now made a very serious flaw in your finished product, so keep away from the interior surfaces and err on blowing out on the outside of the mold where it doesn’t count.

Concrete Mold

I then took some silicone and one of those corner squeegees and sealed/filletted all of the corners. This will keep the water from the concrete mix from leaking and also give me a nice finished eased edge on the finished product (at least that’s the plan). It’ll be a few days before I have time to mix and pour (thanks to boats needing to be worked on), but I’m looking forward to it. I’ve even toyed with the idea of making the crest rail (the small vertical back splash part) out of concrete too and gluing it to the top. Maybe later, depending on how this pour turns out.

Anyhoo, that’s where I am now. It’s been over a year since I cut my finger off making these damn things. I can’t wait to get to a “new” project.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase