Today, I made the drawers, using a square lock joint on the table saw. It was trickier than I expected. Cutting the ends of the drawer faces 3/4” deep was a bit scary, regardless of feather boards or push sticks. I used poplar instead of oak for the sides and back (because that’s what I had laying around). I also made the dust frames out of plywood rails & stiles that was Kregged together instead of solid panels (because that’s what I had laying around).
I used the dime trick for the drawers, so I think they’ll turn out pretty well. Oh, the only thing I measured today, I biffed, so I threw the tape measure away again (figuratively speaking). I also think that either I found an error in the plans (luckily they were long), or I’ve biffed something along the way. I was able to trim 3/8” off the drawer sides and the backs to make the drawers snug. If you buy these plans keep this in mind.
Also, the corbels in the photo are almost the entire height of the night stands, but in the exploded view, they are just over half. I opted for the just over half version.
I think I’m going to go ahead and make the concrete tops. My brother-in-law owns a concrete polishing business, so I think it would be stupid not to try. I also pre-drilled the drawer fronts for the hardware.
Anyhoo, here are some pics:
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails