I was able to plane the stock for the shelves yesterday. I glued up a large enough blank for two shelves, then used the fence to cut them parallel. I then used the cross-cut sled to square the other sides.
I got to use my Delta new mortiser to make all of the mortises (3 on each side x 4 sides = 12 total). Luckily, they were all 3/8” and had the same offset from the front/back. This meant that with one setup, I could knock them all out. If I had done them with a chisel, I’d still be out there hacking away.
Once the mortises were done, I made all of the cross pieces and cut the arch out of the front ones and cut the tenons. I was able to use the coping sled I made last week. I didn’t think it was necessary to cut an arch for the back aprons, as they’ll be up against the bedroom wall.
I did the “throw the tape measure away” thing again today. I made one stretcher 20” long with 1/4” tenons (the only thing I measured). This “forced” all of the other dimensions, so I was able to fit the pieces directly by making pencil marks. It’s a very cool concept and I think reduces a lot of potential error.
I still don’t know if I’m going to make the top out of wood or concrete. I can see the benefits to both sides. I guess I could always just work on finishing what I’ve got.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails