At the urging of my girlfriend, I fumed a small scrap of QSWO and then went over it with amber shellac and dark brown wax, buffing it out with 0000 steel wool. It’s pretty magnificent. As a result, I decided to give my Limbert table an “authentic” Stickley finish.
While waiting for the glue to cook, I fashioned what can only be described as an impromptu fuming tent. Even one of my neighbors came over to see what monstrosity I was building, as they’re usually pretty aesthetically pleasing. I told her about ammonia fuming, but not that it’s practically chemical warfare on the neighborhood. I believe strongly in the concept that it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Anyway, here’s where I’m at on Labor Day, 2009:
This is the first piece I’ve ever made that I took ultra-seriously. I took the time to sand every part, sand the orbital swirl marks out, and fix all the boo-boos I made (i.e. bandsaw marks, chipout, etc.). Thanks Marc!
A couple of lessons I’ve learned: make sure your template is perfect. It’s much easier to fix the template than each piece you made with it. It wasn’t until I read Jewitt’s finishing article that I even noticed the swirl marks from the orbital sander. They’re a lot harder to get rid of than I expected.
BTW, I didn’t have enough band clamps to do the whole assembly, so I used an old boat-building trick. I just glued the part I could clamp, then when that’s cured, I glue another section. If the parts don’t quite meet, run a flush-cut saw in between them and it will make the parts meet flush by shaving an equal amount from each side. If you’ve watched Norm build the Clancy dinghy, you know what I’m talking about.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails