As you may or may not know, last year I cut off my middle finger while ripping the legs out of the glued up blanks. I didn’t have a splitter, riving knife, pawls, or blade guard on the table saw and was then surprised when my finger was gone.
This year, I put a Uniguard blade guard w/ riving knife/splitter on my table saw and have been using a MagSwitch religiously. With the courage engendered by my recent successes, I got back on the horse that kicked my ass. This evening, I was able to complete ripping all eight legs for the two night stands I was a third of the way through back in September.
While I don’t have any pics of this rather mundane step (step #1 in the plans), I do think it was an important step for me as a woodworker and a man. I also realized that I have now roughed out all of the parts needed to assemble the four sides of the night stands. After a series of dadoes and tenons, I’ll be able to glue them up. These night stands are important because they will complete what I started last year, finish the bedroom suite (so I can get rid of my particle board night stands), and it really illustrates how far I’ve come since the accident.
I will endeavor to update this blog as I make progress on these pieces. Thanks to all of the help that Eric & Joe have given me since the accident.
-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails