I figured I would give you guys some updates. Things are coming together pretty well.
After disassembly and cleaning I tackled the repairs to the wheel covers with some fiber mesh reinforced with a wire grid and JB weld. The wheels had some missing sections where either the PO cut parts out or the blade had taken a slice out of them. For example:
here is the mesh I used
here it is on the wheel cover
and the repair after a few coats of JB weld and sanding. The wire grid allowed me to shape that lip at the edge of the wheel cover.
This not only works on pot metal wheel covers but the holes in the cast iron frame as well
After the repairs it was on to priming and sanding. Rustoleum products are highly recommended by the guys at OWWM so I went with that. Used a primer that is suitable for clean or lightly rusted metal. I picked to go with my own color scheme rather than matching the original paint color. Decided on going with the “hammered” line of spray paints. Using hammered black for guides, knobs and wheels and dark bronze from frame, wheel covers and other parts of the saw under the table. I will polish the shafts and other parts that are stainless steel. I expect the polishing part to be challenging but we will see. So far I only finished priming and painting the hammered black parts. Here are some pictures.
Lets just say spray painting is not without challenges and there is a learning curve and useful tips and tricks but I will spare you those. There is plenty of material on this in OWWM.
Thanks for looking and fire away of you have any questions.